Wednesday, September 18, 2002

Bumped into my gay hair- dresser neighbor with the pink hairdo. Bugging me as to when we will shoot. WHEN WE WILL SHOOT? WHEN THE CAMERA IS THERE RIGHT IN YOUR FACE YOU WHINE AND PROTEST ABOUT NOT BEING ABLE TO DO IT BECAUSE OF SOME HEART ACHE CRAP! BUT NOW THAT IM WALKING UNARMED( WITHOUT THE CAM) HE COMES WADDLING by and PATTING ME IN THE BACK.

Can’t really blame him tho. People react differently when a camera is pointed in their faces. Some immediately shrink into the background and wave their hands around. Others mug incessantly. And there are a few who don’t even move at all. Reminds me of an Aunt I have. Every time we have a party and I’d shoot some video footage, she’d freeze when I aim the lens on her like a deer caught in a headlight. Difference is that the deer doesn’t project her best profile. Seems that she hasn’t gotten over the fact that cameras have evolved from shooting still pictures to moving images! And by force of habit always inclines her face towards the left. And no matter how many times I urge her to move…she.wont.

The concept of shooting documentaries and not interfering with the subject is impossible. The minute you train the viewfinder on someone, immediately interferes with that someone’s life. I can’t think of anyone who can react honestly when they are being shot!
As much as I love THE OSBORN’S I cant help but feel that most of the incidents that happen in their lives are STAGED! If it ‘s not then their reactions are.

Reality TV is a trend that is fast becoming old. Last night I heard even LIZA MINELLI is going to do one. The things they put on the tube because of too much airtime.

Bong Revilla was on TV blaming the video pirates for the current state of the Filipino Film industry. Typical ! Blame everyone but yourself. The industry is dead because their movies are bad. No, down right terrible. He says that they used to make 300 films a year now they would be lucky enough to come out with 50. So that means 250 less, bad movies.

They can’t seem to accept the fact that the Filipino movie audience has finally grown up and has developed some short of taste. That the audience can’t stomach the tacky and corny and utterly predictable movie plots the local film companies dish out.

Many think that what we need are a few good directors and scriptwriters and creative producers to change the face of the film world.

Who do you think LINO BROKA was? Or what about MANUEL CONDE who made Genghis Khan. It won the Venice film festival sometime during the 50s and 60s.It was so good that OMAR SHARIFF did his version with a multi -million dollar producttion. Ironically it didnt match the movie that Conde did for peanuts.

And what about Gerry De Leon who I personally think ranks up there with AKIRA KUROSAWA and ORSON WELLES in the filmmaking pantheon. These guys were world-class giants and did they make a dent? ABSOLUTELY NOT!

It doesn’t take one man! It doesn’t take one film to change the industry. We need an entire army and legion strength number of directors and writers and producers to make a positive change. Well the French new wave was able to do it.

Bong Revilla is doing his job with such a high profile visibility rate that it stinks like “ something is fishy in DENMARK “ He wants to show the voting public that he excels in his job as VRB chairman. Posing before shattered fragments of DVDs and vcds or sitting on the tractor before it does its grisly deed. Maybe He’ll use this as a platform for his senatorial aspirations! How typically transparent! I wont vote another vegetable for public office. I mean the government is a virtual green house by now!!!

Now he’s talking about how he wants the film industry to thrive because his entire family works in it. That he wants his children’s children to work in it. See that’s the real problem. They think that it’s a hereditary title that should be passed on, generation to generation like some divine gift to their bloodline. “ Hey I’m an actor. SO My children should be actors. I don’t care if they can’t act even if their life depended on it. I can’t act and my films grossed millions. My father can’t act either and look where he is now ." so.there!”

The film industry is composed of small families who inter marry within to keep the family fortune away from foreign or outsider hands. So its no wonder that they come up with stories that only a Mongoloid could follow and love.

Trace the pedigree of one actor. He’s the son of a matinee actor and a has been actress. The actress is the daughter of a director who married his actress who was the illegitimate daughter of a movie star who sired almost fifteen percent of the industry workers to this day.

And why on earth would Bong Revilla think that people buy pirated Filipino movies? I mean they’re bad enough in the movie house why take them home? I wont sleep well at nights knowing a local film is amongst my DVD collection. Who knows what vile disease it carries. Maybe when I wake up, Id discover that it infected my KUROSAWA titles or my independent film collection.

I have nothing against local movies. As long as they're good.I mentioned earlier the names of Filipino directors who made great films> Now those movies I'd put in a place of honor in my collection. BUT IS THERE A DVD COPY OF THEIR FILMS? NO! WHAT FILIPINO DVDS ARE AVAILABLE? GO FIGURE!

Have you bought a local Filipino DVD? It stinks! I don’t know when Revilla would actually grow something in between his ears and realize that no one buys his stupid local films and leave us be to pursue our guilty pleasures!

One funny fact. While airing that interview with Bong revilla about piracy. The show used the soundtrack of the TOMB RAIDER game for its background music for some news bytes. ISN’T THAT A FORM OF PIRACY? I SERIOUSLY DOUBT THAT THEY ACQUIRED THE PERMISSION OF EIDOS TO USE IT!

I think Revilla should do better trying to bust up the drug problem instead of piracy. I mean what would you prefer the hoodlum sitting in his small room watching the pirated copy of Unbreakable and laughing silly or out in the streets with a fan knife in his hand and you in his sights!