Friday, November 08, 2002



COMPUTER SHIT

NOW IT’S THE COMPUTER’S TURN! I flipped the switch and nothing happened. I did it again and still there was no electrical activity on the switchboard! NOT ON NOVEMBER1! PLEASE!!!!!! THE DRIVER IS OFF TO MARINDUQUE TO CHECK OUT HIS 2ND FAMILY! NO! NO! NO!

That was it! My entire day was ruined! NIX the ride the motorcycle till you drop because all the idiots are off to the province and the roads are virtually all mine! NIX HANGING OUT WITH my fellow filmmakers in our old clubhouse! NIX ALL THAT BECAUSE OF THE DAMN STUPID POWER SUPPLY OF MY DUMBASS COMPUTER! So I bite the bullet and started dressing up.

Disconnected the computer off all the cables and began hauling that stupid thing down four floors. In moments like this I wished I got a small one BUT NO! I HAD TO HAVE THE BIGGEST MEAN LOOKING PC SYSTEM! I HAD TO GET THE FULL TOWER WITH ULTRA HARD CASE. Looks awesome in my room but it weights a ton when going down the stairs. I HAD TO GET THE SLEEK ONE. The one were you cant get a hand hold as you desperately tired to maintain your grip while on the last leg towards the main street.

Of course getting a cab was another thing. I waited for an hour. WHERE THE FUCK ARE THOSE IDIOTS? Don’t tell me that they are lining up on the parking lot near graveyards waiting for potential passengers!!!!ROARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Was able to get a cab by walking three blocks with the accursed PC.Told the driver to bring me to the COMPUTER STORE WHERE I BOUGHT THIS TURKEY!

The tech assist was this huge guy named GOLD WING or something and he proceeded to take the thing apart. After a few minutes he takes out the power supply box and tinkers with it.

FLIM: ‘ I just bought the power supply box six months ago. THAT MEANS YOU GUYS WOULD HAVE TO GIVE ME A NEW POWER SUPPLY FREE OF CHARGE AND LABOR.”

GOLDWING: “ But ser. we can only forward the power supply box to the supllier. We then have to wait for them to replace it “

FLIM: “ SO WHAT DOES THAT MEAN? MY COMPUTER WOULD HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL … WHEN? “

GOLDWING: “ Until they replaced it.”

FLIM: “ And how long would it take? “

I knew the answer before he would even say anything.

GOLDWING: “ Could take weeks ser! “

Groan. I could have just waited for the driver to return from his weeklong soiree instead of hauling the heavy pc to this GOLGOTHA of a destination!

GOLDWING: “ Ser. Its no the power supply. Cause I connected another power supply box. A NEW POWER SUPPLY BOX and your pc is still not working! “

FLIM: “ GREAT! MORE GOOD NEWS! WELL? KEEP IT COMING!! DON’T BREAK UP YOUR STACCATO PACED SLATE OF BAD NEWS! WHAT?”

GOLD WING: “ I think it’s your motherboard ser! There’s no light when I plug in your power supply. And when I plug our new power supply there’s still no light.”

WELL AINT THAT A PEACH! Took a deep breath and sighed.

FLIM: “ HOW THE FUCK COULD IT BE THE MOTHERBOARD WHEN I JUST BOUGHT IT TWO YEARS AGO! IS THE LIFESPAN OF A BOARD THAT FAST? I EVEN BARELY USED IT!”

GOLDWING: “ Well that’s the way of electronics. You couldn’t really say how long it is going to last. Most of the time it goes on for years.”

FLIM: “ But not in this case right? So my warranty for the motherboard is for a year. And naturally it breaks down after two.”

Well everything is starting to make sense!

FLIM: “ HOW much is a new MOTHERBOARD? “

GOLDWING: “ Its not in my department. I’ll ask the counter girl.”

He leaves and im left alone with the stupid computer.

FLIM: “ THIS IS WHAT YOU DO TO ME! AFTER TAKING CARE OF YOU! AFTER EVERY USE I CEREMONIOUSLY CLOTHE YOU WITH PLASTIC AND THE COMPUTER COVER SO THAT DUST WON’T SPOIL YOUR SHEEN! I GIVE YOU A LOT OF TIME OFF AND WHEN I DO USE YOU I MAKE SURE THAT IT DOESN’T PASS THE SIX-HOUR MARK! AND YOU FUCKING CONK OUT ON ME AT A TIME WHEN I NEEDED YOU MOST! WELL THAT’S IT FOR YOU MISTER! NO MORE COVERS! NO MORE SLACK OFF TIME! YOU’RE GOING TO BE DOING DOUBLE DUTY TO EARN WHAT I’LL BE SPENDING FOR YOU YOU MINDLESS PIECE OF EXCREMENT FILTH!”

Goldwing enters with a new motherboard.

FLIM: “ What could have caused it to conk out like that.”

GOLDWING: “ Well sometimes it’s rats or mice going inside and peeing on it. That would surely short-circuit it. Then there’s the power fluctuations and power surges that we have. It will short it too.”

FLIM: “ Well I have an APC with a built in regulator so it’s not that. Rats and mice I don’t know about that. I annihilate every vermin I see in the house.”

GOLDWING: “ Well it’s the life span of electronic things. Sometimes they last sometimes they don’t.”

He slaps the motherboard in and the computer hums back to life and everything back to normal.

NOT BY A LONG SHOT! I STILL HAD TO FIND A CAB ON THIS INCREDIBLE DAY.

Walked three blocks with that stupid sleek pc full tower casing. Lent came in early this year.

I reached the house at 1 in the afternoon. I haven’t had a bite to eat all day. I plugged in the computer and didn’t off it till the following day. Computers are like people. You go soft on them and they walk all over you.

I told my good friend JOE that when you spend on an upgrade you always feel better no matter how much money you use. But when it’s for repairs… You feel like shit! It’s like a step backwards! LIKE REPEATING GRADE 1 OR WORSE! HIGH SCHOOL!

I was supposed to get another pc to hook up with my existing systems. I even had the budget for that but when the motherboard cocked out I suddenly lost my appetite for all things computer.

Im thinking of spending my money on a vintage Aladdin lunchbox instead.Worse thing that can happen with those thoings is the thermos slipping out and head butting your cat.I hate CATS!