Sunday, June 06, 2004

CESS: “Do you think this is natural? “

FLIM: “ No. I don’t think so.”

She is pointing at SELINA’s fish that was swimming belly up.

CESS: “ But look it’s swimming.’

FLIM: “ As far as I know only humans can do back strokes. When a fish does something like that it’s not good.”

CESS: “ Maybe it’s preparing to sleep. Have you seen how fish sleep? “

FLIM: “ It’s the middle of the day. What it was up all night partying? “

CESS: “ And look at the water level. It has decreased rapidly since yesterday.”

Selina’s YAYA, AIDA joins this bizarre conversation.

AIDA: “ MUM, that’s what they call evaporation.”

Then our cook DALIA butts in.

DALIA: “ NO! OF COURSE NOT. The water decreased because the fish drank it, what else? Do you see him getting out of the aquarium to get a drink of water? “

FLIM:” QUIET ALL OF YOU! I can’t think!

I look at the fish .By now he has stopped swimming around and is just belly up and breathing.

FLIM: “ Maybe he got the flu just like the rest of us.”

Ever since Friday, Selina was down with the flu and then Cess went down, Saturday morning. Then it was my turn today. My head is aching and I have a bad cold.

FLIM: “ Don’t you find it strange that the fish is sick just like the rest of us.”?

CESS: “ MY sister said that she owned that fish for years and it doesn’t get sick.”

FLIM: “ Well the Huns conquered ROME eventually! “

CESS: “ She said that we should give it some medicine.”

I look at her and scratch my head with wonder.

FILM: “ And how do you propose we do that? Its mouth isn’t that big for me to ram the pills inside.”

CESS: “ I think that fish has been over fed. Selina’s been feeding him twice a day when the normal rate is that you feed it every other day.”

I then look at the small culprit who is staring at the fish.

FLIM: “ Great going kid. You just killed your first pet at the age of three. With the rate you’re going I bet you’ll be up the clock tower at age six. And hiding at the grassy knoll at 10.”

CESS: “ We have to save the fish. That’s the baby’s favorite past time. Feeding her.’

FLIM: “ Didn’t we used to have more fish? “

CESS: “ We had four, that fish ate it all.”

There’s more drama today around the aquarium stand than there is on cable.

FLIM: “ Let bring it to a marine biologist and see what happens.”

CESS: “ He’s overfed and he’s sick from gluttony. My sister said that we should check the MEDICAL EMERGENCY book.”

FLIM: “ That’s for humans! Its not like he’s choking on a chicken bone or something.”

CESS: “ Maybe we should try pumping his stomach.”