Tuesday, March 04, 2003

EARLY MORNING EMISSIONS

I actually stopped four times on the way home from the gym to jot down the numbers of vehicles that emit foul toxic fumes from their stupid pipes! THIS CLEAN AIR ACT IS PURE BULLSHIT that can only come FROM THE PHILIPPINE GOVERNMENT! IT HAS ITS UNIQUE STENCHED STAMPED ALL OVER IT. It irks me to high heavens because I HAVE TO SHELL OUT MONEY SO SOME TWATH WITH A LONG POLE WOULD TELL ME…” YOU’RE VEHICLE ‘S FUMES ARE CLEAN! “
I KNOW THAT! I SPEND 6,000 EVERY THREE MONTHS FOR TUNE UPS! AND THEN YOU CROSS PATHS WITH DOZENS OF VEHICLES THAT EXCRETE BLACK SMOKE IN YOUR FACE! WHERE’S THE JUSTICE IN THAT????


I wouldn’t mind paying the extra 300 pesos to have my pipes checked with their gas emission instruments. Because I would like to breathe clean air when I run or when I ride my motorcycle. But it is painfully evident that the CLEAN AIR ACT, which requires all vehicles to undergo the emission test to the tune of 300 pesos, is ANOTHER FUCKING RACKET TO DIVEST THE ALREADY BURDENED TAX PAYER FROM HIS LAST REMAINING CENTAVO! It is a racket because of the sheer number of cars and trucks STILL PLOWING THE STREETS WITH POISONOUS BLACK CLOUD TRAILING BEHIND THEM.

And I wondered out loud how can they pass thru the emission test.

JAKE: “ Man, Didn’t you hear? All you have to do is pay 600 pesos in most Department of TRANSPORTATION branches and they let you off easy without any emission test!”

SEE? SEE? SEE?

I stopped over an intersection and pointed out a truck to an MMDA

FLIM: “ SEE THAT! ITS EMITTING BLACK SMOKE! CAN’T YOU ARREST HIM?

MMDA: “ oh sorry we are not authorized to do that! You can jot down the plate numbers and then report them but that’s as far as you can go! “

FLIM: “ How about a CITIZEN’S ARREST? “

MMDA: “ I don’t know what you are talking about . All I know is we are not authorize to do that! “

FLIM: “ SO WHAT ARE YOU AUTHORIZED TO DO? “

MMDA: “ Apprehend traffic violations! “

FLIM: “ But isn’t that an outright VIOLATION OF THE CLEAN AIR ACT? “

MMDA: “ Maybe but its not so clear.”

FLIM: “ HOW CLEAR DO YOU WANT IT? DO YOU SEE THAT SMOKE COMING OUT? “

MMDA:” uhmm yes…”

FLIM: “ Do you know that exposure to that is 100 times 25 more lethal than smoking cigarettes? “

MMDA: “ Really? “

FLIM: “ Breathing that stuff for four minutes brings toxic microscopic lead particles that accumulate inside your lungs. THEY DON’T DISAPPEAR! THEY REMAIN THERE FOREVER! AND THEY CONTINUE TO MULTIPLY …AND THEN ONE DAY.
..BANG! “


MMDA: "What ? happens? "

FLIM: " You'll be directing traffic in the superhighway of the skies! "

MMDA: “ Putang ina! (SON OF A BITCH!)

FLIM: “ I have to breathe that thing for just a few seconds. IMAGINE WHAT IT CAN DO TO SOMEONE WHOSE JOB IS TO STAND IN THE SIDE OF THE ROAD, EVERY DAY, 6 HOURS A DAY, SIX TIMES A WEEK?”

MMDA takes out his cap and wipes the sweat from his face. He looks at me and looks at the truck. Luckily we’re stuck in traffic. He then walks over and takes out something from his pocket. He then knocks on the side of the truck. The driver looks at him and they both talk. I

then whiz past by with a smile on my face and a halfhearted salute! I DON’T LIKE MOTIVATING PEOPLE TO DO THEIR JOBS! IT’S THEIR JOB AND THEY HAVE TO DO IT! MIND FUCKING NOTWITHSTANDING!